Monday, June 30, 2014

who is Jim P Spencer



Who is Jim P Spencer? Well I was called Phil (that’s the P) until I was in my twenties. I was born in January in Northampton, Massachusetts. I attended the public schools there graduating from Northampton High in 1962. I spent two years at Holyoke Junior College were partying took precedence over studying. I joined the Air Force in 1965. I made maps, interpreted aerial and ground photos, edited reports, analyzed intelligence, worked in disaster preparedness (what some people called crash and dash).

In 1967, I married Susan Marie Conz. Our most memorable times were spent while I was stationed at the 548th Recon Technical Squadron in Hawaii. How could I not have enjoyed Hawaii with that much water and so many big game fish just a short boat hop away from the dock? I have been stationed at Lackland AFB in Texas, Lowry AFB in Colorado, Barksdale AFB in Louisiana, Saigon Vietnam (67-68), Nakhon Phanom ( affectionately known as "Naked Fanny) Thailand, Beale AFB in California, Wright Patterson AFB in Ohio. Did I mention Hawaii – well I did two tours there. That was a real hardship. I also spent some time at locations in Japan and Korea.

Still in the Air Force, i went back to school at Wayland Baptist University in Hawaii where I received a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a BSOE in intelligence systems management. I retired in 1986 as a Master Sergeant. I then attended Springfield College where I received a master’s degree in Industrial and Organizational psychology.

Since my graduation in 1988, I have held various managerial positions. One of significant note is that I was hired as a training administrator for the Federal Deposit Insurance Company in Massachusetts. I loved every hour of that position. As all good things seem to end, I was a victim of a downsize and had to find other employment. I tried a few more jobs, and they for a zillion reason didn’t work out. I was in training for a financial advisor for American Express when I had a heart attack in 2000.

While recuperating, I found out that people enjoyed the words that I write and the plots that I can create. I got carried away and wrote my first novel. I went off to change the world with my new found skill. It wasn’t long before I found that I had the tools to write but they were dull. I honed my skills as a writer over the years by attending a zillion workshops, conferenced and writing groups. I finally finished my book Red, White and Black Lies seven years after I first put pen to paper. It did so well that I decided to do a series and the 2nd book is due out shortly.



So, that is me in a nutty shell and you can find me most of the time marketing, writing and all that goes with that business. I still teach both writing and photography. My other passions are travel, fishing and cooking. More will come every week – hope you enjoy my comments on writing and life in general.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you Jim. It looks like the air force certainly moved you around the world. You certainly made the most of everything they had to offer, good on you.
    Cheers
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete